The Data Mesh Platform principles activity helps the team collectively define and write down the Data Mesh Platform principles they want to follow. It fosters an upfront and democratic conversation about the needs and constraints for the Data Mesh Platform.
What are the guiding principles for our Data Mesh platform?
Step by step:
- Ask the participants to write down needs and constraints for each of the four categories:
- Properties – What are the needs or constraints for the properties the Data mesh platform should provide?
- Tools – What are the needs or constraints of tools for the Data mesh platform?
- Process – What are the needs or constraints for the processes the Data mesh platform should adhere to?
- People – What are the needs or constraints for the people involved with the Data mesh platform?
- Cluster similar notes
- Group conversation
This activity was inspired on the FunRetrospectives Defining the team principles activity. It has been used in the context of large organisations going through a Data Mesh transformation. It is suitable for the inception of a Data Mesh platform team.
Check the Data Mesh Accelerated article. On it you will find more links on Data Mesh and other related workshops.
This post is part of a series of posts on inception related activities.