Please find here a good template for a retrospective for a training.
I have used this template many times. It works well for a smaller group of people as well for many participants (I did run it for a training with more than 100 people).
I have run it in for a 1 and ½ hour retrospective with lots of conversation about the learnings from the training, as well as a quick 15 minute session with enough time for individual reflection and sharing of the main take-aways from the training.
Here is a Mural template for this end of training retrospective:
Below are the sequence of activities, following the FunRetrospectives proposed agenda.
Set the Context
This is the wrap up of the training. Let`s have a moment to reflect about the learnings, and share a little about the future plans and aspirations.
When running this retro in less than 30 minutes, I will not use an energizer. Although, it I have more than 30 minutes, I will run a quick energizer. This post has some quick ideas for fast and effective remote energizers / ice-breaks.
I suggest using the futurospective prime directive. It is a training; it is about getting the learnings for the future.
Futurospective Prime Directive: ‘Hope and confidence come from proper involvement and a willingness to predict the unpredictable. We will fully engage on this opportunity to unite around an inclusive vision, and join hands in constructing a shared future.’
Check-in: Learning scale
The Learning Scale is a quick activity to measure how comfortable participants feel about the content shared in the training. Each participant must answer the purple and green question and move, respectively, one purple star and one green star
- How comfortable were you with the concepts shared in the training? (before going through the training)
- How comfortable are you with the concepts shared in the training? (after going through the training)
1. Please take a moment, reflect and then write it down
* Future directions: Please write down your future directions
* Lessons learned: Please write down your key lessons and takeaways
* Accomplishments: Please write down your key accomplishments so far
* Thank you: Please write down your ´thank you´ notes
IMPORTANT: Select which step 2 to present to the group, according to the timing you allocate to this activity:
2. We will take these notes and email to you or 2. We will have a quick conversation about the notes
Check-out: One word before leaving
1. Please describe your feelings as you leave this training in one word.
2. Add the words to an open canvas.
3. Feel free to share more about your word as we close this encounter.